Monday, September 2, 2013

Thursday, September 5, 2013

1. Sign-up for your Book of the Month  -- if you haven't.

Pick up your composition books, please. 


2. iRead:   Individual reading time: Read quietly and individually.  You could find books on the shelves.

 Have you picked your Book-of-the-Month Club book?  


You must have it read by September 19. 
We will type the assignment in class on September 23.

3.   About Edmodo.   Go to computer lab and sign up with  class code.  If you are absent, see me for the class code and directions for signing up or adding the class. 


4.  Paragraph Pretest  -- If you are absent, see me about completing this test.    If you finish early, please  turn in your test and read quietly.  


5. Label this "iWriteRight" with today's date 
     How many capital letters can you find in this paragraph?  List them, and for each capital or each set of capital letters, tell why it is capitalized.  For instance,  both words in "Mayo Avenue" are capitalized for the same reason.  What is it?  
       The same word or phrase repeated counts as a new set. 
      Include the information at the end of the paragraph about where it came from.  

      When I was nine, my parents borrowed my grandmother's new Ford Mustang because it had air conditioning and because my grandmother insisted, and because there was no way our old Chevy could make the two thousand miles from our house on Mayo Avenue in Houston to Decker, Montana, where my father's old Army buddy owned a sheep ranch. . . . It was the first day after third grade at Pearl Rucker Elementary School, and I held the bag of peppermints Mrs. Dodge had given me, along with a note: "Thank you for being my star this year."  I didn't like peppermints, but they were from Mrs. Dodge, and I loved Mrs. Dodge.  So my two younger sisters wouldn't get a single one for the whole drive there and back.  We drew imaginary boundaries on the vinyl seat and dared each other to cross them.
               -- Kathi Appelt, My Father's Summers (2004)

My Father's Summers -- Capitalization