Wednesday, August 7, 2013

My Father's Summers -- Capitalization



    (1) When (2) was nine, my parents borrowed my grandmother's new (3) Ford Mustang because it had air conditioning and because my grandmother insisted, and because there was no way our old (4) Chevy could make the two thousand miles from our house on (5) Mayo Avenue in (6) Houston to (7) Decker, Montana, where my father's old (8) Army buddy owned a sheep ranch.  (9) It was the first day after third grade at (10) Pearl Rucker Elementary School, and (11)I held the bag of peppermints (12)Mrs. Dodge had given me, along with a note: " (13)Thank you for being my star this year."  (14) I didn't like peppermints, but they were from (15) Mrs. Dodge, and (16)I loved (17)Mrs. Dodge.  (18)So my two younger sisters wouldn't get a single one for the whole drive there and back. (19) We drew imaginary boundaries on the vinyl seat and dared each other to cross them.
 -- (20)Kathi Appelt, (21)My Father's Summers (2004)


 (1) When begins a sentence.
(2) I  is the personal pronoun "I" which is always capitalized.
(3) Ford Mustang  is a brand name and a proper noun.
(4) Chevy is another brand name and a proper noun.
(5) Mayo Avenue is the name of a specific place, a proper noun, a street.  
(6) Houston is the name of a specific place, a proper noun, a city. 
(7) Decker, Montanas the name of a specific place, a proper noun, a city. 
(8) Army is the name of a specific branch of the U.S. military, and a proper noun. 

(9) It  is the word that begins the sentence.
(10) Pearl Rucker Elementary School is the name of a specific school -- a proper noun.
(11)I   is the personal pronoun "I" which is always capitalized.
(12)Mrs. Dodge is the name of a specific person, a proper noun.  Capitalize "Mrs." because it is a form of address. 

(13)Thank is the first word in a sentence, which must always be capitalized. 

(14) I  is the personal pronoun "I" which is always capitalized.
(15) Mrs. Dodge  is the name of a specific person, a proper noun.  Capitalize "Mrs." because it is a form of address. 
(16)is the personal pronoun "I" which is always capitalized.
(17)Mrs. Dodge   is the name of a specific person, a proper noun.  Capitalize "Mrs." because it is a form of address. 
 (18)So  is the first word in a sentence, which must always be capitalized. 
(19) We  is the first word in a sentence, which must always be capitalized. 
(20)Kathi Appelt  is the name of a specific person, a proper noun.  

(21)My Father's Summers is the title of a book, a proper noun.