Saturday, March 18, 2017

Tuesday/Wednesday, March 21/22, 2017



Announcements and Reminders:
                          

We will take the SAGE Writing Test on March 23 - March 30.
Come well-rested.
Eat well.
Drink enough water, but not too much.   😀

Reminder-- For an evacuation of the school, go to your A1 teacher. 


Just for fun:  My daughter's friend posted this yesterday on Facebook.
"Just now, I looked over my shoulder and jumped when I saw a giant bug sitting there. It was about the size of an earbud on a pair of headphones! A half-second before yelling, jumping out of my seat, and flicking it off of my shoulder, I realized it was the earbud from my headphones."







Targets for Today:

I can deconstruct a writing prompt so that I am successful in my writing.  (This is a LIFE SKILL!)

I am familiar with the SAGE Writing Platform.



Today’s  Agenda:

1. Another practice deconstructing (RAFTing) a prompt. (See below.)

2. Questions about the SAGE Test.   See the end of this post. 

3.  http://sageportal.org/training-tests/

Look at what the SAGE writing test looks like. 
Stepping through  writing an informational text -- 

4. Sample informational -- Exploring Oceans 
Informative Oceans Exploration.docx





SAGE WRITING TEST

Get logged in.
      Use the information on my ticket.
(When I am done  for the day I will close the browser and log off the computer.)

Follow the directions. 
You may have the program read the passages to you, but be aware that is VERY slow.

When you get to the prompt,
1. Do your RAFTS for the prompt.
2. Read the passages.

You may take notes on the notepad on the program. They will disappear when you leave today.

You may take notes and plan on the blank paper the teacher provides.  You will give that paper to the teacher at the end of class.  If your name is on it, she will return it to you for the next class period.

3. Plan –
NOTES TO ME:
I need to use information from the passage set as I write.
I need to be careful not to plagiarize that information.
I need to come up with my own way of presenting the information, not just say what those authors said.   I will be synthesizing, taking what I’ve read and making something new.

I am writing about “how technology has helped explorers overcome challenges related to deep-sea exploration.”

I need to think about what I learned, and what I think is important from it.


Revise and edit.
Check to make sure I have an introduction, a central idea, supporting details, and a conclusion.
Make sure I have cited my sources.
Check for complete sentences.


Check for spelling, punctuations, capitalization, and grammatical errors.

(When I am done  for the day I will close the browser and log off the computer.)






If You Were Absent:

See below. 


Vocabulary:
Omit = take out, leave out.

Controlling Idea = Central Idea 

Explain = Tell how things work or how they came to be the way they are, including perhaps some need to 'describe' and to 'analyse' (see above). 

Analyze = Break an issue down into its component parts, discuss them and show how they interrelate.











Q&A about taking the SAGE test: 

What do I do if I am not done and class ends? 
Students need to PAUSE the writing test at the end of the session(s).  Only when both prompts are completed should a student click, Submit for Scoring.


For ELA: Writing:
Writing is divided into two essay sections, each with one written response required. You can pause the Writing sections at any time.

  • For the first essay: You can review and edit your response until you move on to the next section. Once you move on, you cannot go back.
  • For the second essay: You can review and edit your response until you are done and submit the test.

Is there a spell check or dictionary for SAGE writing?
Yes,  Those tools are available for all grades   3 - 11 on both writing prompts.

Is highlighting or annotation available?
Highlighting is available. There is an online notepad where students can take notes. Students will also be able to have a blank scratch paper and pen/pencil as well. Be aware that highlighted text is only active during the current session and not saved.

How much do students need to write?
There is not an exact required length given for student responses, but guidance is provided as part of the prompt. 
  • 5th - 11th Grade: On the Informational/Explanatory prompt, length should be 2-3 paragraphs. On the Opinion/Argumentative prompt, a well constructed essay should be written.

How do students cite the textual information/evidence they incorporate in their essays?
  • 6th – 11th Grades: When referring to evidence and information from passages, students should use paraphrasing and short quotations. To credit sources, students should use informal, in-text citations (e.g., MLA author or title tags).

What do I do when I am finished?  
The teacher will have reading or an assignment for you to work on.  


http://edtech.canyonsdistrict.org/sage-language-arts-information.html