Sunday, March 12, 2017

Monday/Tuesday, March 13/14, 2017


Announcements and Reminders:

Turn in your unused hall passes. 
      
Don't forget your homework:  The information you collected about your own name.                   
 If you are failing this class, see me about turning in late work. 

Make sure your composition book is left in your folder by the end of class. I am still checking composition books.  For the items I'm checking, see the Composition Book tab above. 


Targets for Today:

 I can write an informational essay. 


Today’s  Agenda:

Turn in your unused hall passes. 



Your Name Essay -- Finish this Today 
You will do some more research and write our essay today.
It is due at the end of class. 
Research: 
Use the chrome book that corresponds with your composition book number. 
Learn about the history and meaning of your first name.
If it does not give you a definition for your name, click on any links they give you to follow to a similar name.
Example: 
For AVA, you would click on the link to EVE. 

Because you have limited time for this essay, you will do this part of your research quickly.  Do a focused search for something that might be useful in your essay. 
Read  the article "Names and Personal Identify."  Skim and scan for information that might help you.
Read also the two brief essays women have written about their names.   Skim and scan for information that might help you.

Planning: 
Use these items  and what you learned with your interview to write an informative essay. 
Use the outline you have received to plan your essay.  
Cite at least two  (2) of the sources you have been given (site about names, article, essays).   
You may also cite what a parent or other person said in your interview.  This does't count as one of the two. 

Drafting: 
Go to  MyAccess, using the school website:  http://afjh.alpineschools.org/
Find it under the Resources tab. 
Select the prompt for "What's in a Name?"  
See the prompt and the Special Instructions.  
Using your outline, write your informational essay on MyAccess. 

Finishing up: 
Use My Tutor.
Use My Editor, and edit for problems it might have missed.
Submit Writing and Submit for Score.

Hints for Name Essay

This could be your thesis sentence at the end of your introduction:


Understanding names can help people better understand themselves, their families, or their culture.  I recently found out more about the meaning of my name and how I got it, and that led me to think about how my name affects me. 
(or)

Some people are happy with their names, and others are not.   As for me, I   like/dislike  the meaning of my name and how I got it,  and/but I  like/don’t like the way my name affects my life.

Your first body paragraph will be about the meaning of your name and how you got it.
Your second body paragraph will be about how your name affects you.


Don’t forget a conclusion.

Examples of Citing a source:   Receiving a name gives a person both rights and responsibilities in their society (Deluzain). 

The name Elaine means "torch" or "moon" (Behind the Name).  

_______________________________________________________________
We may take a break to learn more about names with these: 






If You Were Absent:

Write your essay at home.   Submit it for scoring.
Handouts:






Vocabulary: