Monday, November 9, 2015

Monday/Tuesday, November 9/10, 2015



Announcements and Reminders:
                                                                 
 Make sure you've signed up for your book of the month by this Wednesday, November 11. 
Your book discussions will take place on November 19 and 20. 



Targets for Today:

Reading: Literature Standard 1 
Cite several pieces of textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
Writing Standard 1 
Write arguments to support claims with clear reasons and relevant evidence.
Language Standard 2 
Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.




Today’s  Agenda:

1. Pick up your composition book.
2. Individual Reading 
3. Spelling Test 




4. New spelling words:  Lie/Lay
Test November 19/20
(lie/lay)   Lie means to recline.  I'm doing it myself.   Lay means to put or place.  I'm doing it to something else. 
I will lie down on my bed.
I will lay the book on the desk.

I lie on my bed often.
I lay the book there every day.

I am lying on my bed.
I am laying the book on the desk.

Yesterday I lay on my bed.
Yesterday I laid the book on my desk.

I have lain in my bed every night.
I have laid the book on that desk every day.


5.  Evidence, Warrant, Claim  for this case:  

Case: Slip or Trip?


"Evidence includes concrete, observable information; personal testimony; written documents; and material objects and their condition or appearance."



-- George Hillocks, Jr.  in Teaching Argument Writing: Grades 6-12
Basic Argument
Evidence
(Proof)
Rule
(Warrant)
Conclusion
(Claim)






















6. (If time)  More from The Outsiders:
A1 read from   page 58, "pg 45, Track 1", minute  21:30 to page 62, beginning of "pg 45, Track 2"

B5  read from page 59, "pg 45, Track 1", minute 24:03 to page 64,  "pg 45, Track 2",  minute  3:29. 

B6 read from   "page 65,   "pg 45, Track 2",  minute 5:03  to minute 17:00, page 72, "Johnny handed me the knife."



B7 read from page 57 
 "pg 45, Track 1", minute 19:22  to page 60, "pg 45, Track 1", minute 26:01. 





If You Were Absent:

Read your novel.
Arrange to take your spelling test.
See above for the new spelling materials.
Make sure you are caught up with the class on The Outsiders.

Study this case, looking for evidence, provide warrants for you evidence, and come up with a claim. 

Case: Slip or Trip?




 For later: 
 Slip or Trip Police Report.docx