Monday, November 2, 2015

How did S.E. Hinton begin writing The Outsiders?



Question: You were a sixteen year-old high school student in Oklahoma when you wrote The Outsiders. Where did you get the idea for the story?

Answer from S.E. Hinton: I was actually fifteen when I first began it. It was the year I was sixteen and a junior in high school that I did the majority of the work (that year I made a D in creative writing). One day a friend of mine was walking home from school and these "nice" kids jumped out of a car and beat him up because they didn't like his being a greaser. This made me mad and I just went home and started pounding out a story about this boy who was beaten up while he was walking home from the movies--the beginning of The Outsiders. It was just something to let off steam. I didn't have any grand design. I just sat down and started writing it. I look back and I think it was totally written in my subconscious or something.