Friday, April 25, 2014

Thursday, May 1, 2014



Announcements and Reminders: 
Behaving well for the substitute will earn extra credit.

 I will send in book orders this Friday, May 2, then again May 9. Order online or bring the order form and a check.
       If you order online, use the Class Activation Code: GKLJW

Today’s Agenda:

1. Independent Reading (for about 20 minutes)

2. Sentence Imitating 
Complex Sentence: 
"Because of plagues, poxes, and every other unimaginable nightmare that doctors didn't know how to cure, people dropped like flies." p. 60 How They Croaked by Georgia Bragg 

A Complex Sentence to Imitate:
"If I hadn't gone outside, I don't know if I would have heard the scream." Maggie Stiefvater, Shiver, p. 38

Imititations:
If I hadn't eaten the cake, I wouldn't have found the saw inside it. -- Ms. Dorsey

If I hadn't read that book, I wouldn't have understood what my students were talking about. -- Ms. Dorsey

Follow this pattern: 
If I hadn't _________________, I wouldn't have _________________.
Dependent clause, Independent clause.
[This is a complex sentence.]



One Independent Clause

Two or More Independent Clauses
No dependent clause
Simple Sentence
Compound Sentence


One or more dependent clauses

Complex Sentence

Compound-Complex Sentence


3. Practice with Prefixes and suffixes.

4. Listen to and Read along with The Giver.
B1 page 60
B2 page 56
B3 page 51
B4 page 63





If you were absent: 
See above.