Sunday, September 5, 2010

Mockingjay

I finally finished reading Mockingjay (having been sidetracked -- but not hijacked) by the busy-ness of the first weeks of  school. .  I'm very impressed, and very much enjoyed it.  I'm recommending it to my adult friend who haven't already read it. 

I know many of my students are reading it, or have started with Hunger Games. As usual, I'm excited to see them excited about a book.  However,  parents, I would recommend that seventh graders wait at least a year or two to read the Hunger Games series -- or, if they are already reading, have read, or will read it, I strongly recommend that a parent or other close adult  read it before or along with them.  The books are intense and contain many mature themes.  They beg for discussion -- especially between a less-mature reader and an adult who cares about the sorts of impressions that reader comes away with.  I've made the same sorts of recommendations concerning the Twilight books and many other books that are marketed for teens. 

Parents, talking with your teen (or preteen/almost a teen) is such a good idea, anyway!