Thursday, September 16, 2010

About How We Treat Others -- From the Presidential Back-to-School Speech

The following is from the President's Back-to-School speech.   As I listened, I  made a real-world-to-text connection.  I was thinking about the novel we're reading, The Outsiders, and hoping that as we read it each of you can realize that making some kids (or other people) into outsiders, calling them names, treating them unkindly and even cruelly is bad for everyone.  We here at American Fork Junior High can do better than that.  

The President said,
"But the truth is, an education is about more than getting into a good college.  It’s about more than getting a good job when you graduate.  It’s about giving each and every one of us the chance to fulfill our promise, and to be the best version of ourselves we can be.  And part of that means treating others the way we want to be treated -- with kindness and respect.

" So, what I want to say to every kid, every young person -- what I want all of you -- if you take away one thing from my speech, I want you to take away the notion that life is precious, and part of what makes it so wonderful is its diversity, that all of us are different.  And we shouldn’t be embarrassed by the things that make us different.  We should be proud of them, because it’s the thing that makes us different that makes us who we are, that makes us unique.  And the strength and character of this country has always come from our ability to recognize -- no matter who we are, no matter where we come from, no matter what we look like, no matter what abilities we have -- to recognize ourselves in each other.

"I was reminded of that idea the other day when I read a letter from Tamerria Robinson.  She’s a 12-year-old girl in Georgia.  And she told me about how hard she works and about all the community service she does with her brother.  And she wrote, “I try to achieve my dreams and help others do the same.”  “That,” she said, “is how the world should work.”  That’s a pretty good motto.  I work hard to achieve my goals and then I try to help others to achieve their goals.

"And I agree with Tamerria.  That’s how the world should work.  But it’s only going to work that way if all of you get in good habits while you’re in school.  So, yes, each of us need to work hard.  We all have to take responsibilities for our own education.  We need to take responsibility for our own lives.  But what makes us who we are is that here, in this country, in the United States of America, we don’t just reach for our own dreams, we try to help others do the same.  This is a country that gives all its daughters and all of its sons a fair chance, a chance to make the most of their lives and fulfill their God-given potential."

See the entire text of the speech at
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2010/09/14/remarks-president-back-school-speech-philadelphia-pennsylvania