Friday, May 29, 2009

Summer 2009 Reading #1





Summer 2009 Reading #1

Deborah Dean, a professor at BYU, just recommended reading the first book in Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy. Sanderson is the Utah author who was selected to continue Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. That tells me he must be a master of fantasy.

Here is what Dr. Dean said about Mistborn:
  • Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
    This novel, the first of the Mistborn Trilogy, turns the fantasy genre on its head by asking a simple question: What if the hero of prophecy fails? What kind of world results when the Dark Lord is in charge? The answer will be found in this saga of surprises and magical martial-arts action. 541 page
Here's a sample from the book (from Sanderson's official web site):
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/library/11/Mistborn-Chapter-One

_____________________________

Speaking of fantasy, I'm finally reading
The Candy Shop War by Brandon Mull. The first chapter really surprised me! I guess I was expecting all sweetness (candy, anyone?) and light. The main characters (whom we meet AFTER chapter one) are younger -- fifth grade -- but I've had many seventh grade students who just love this book.

I finished it! I can definitely recommend this book.

Extra Credit Opportunity: Read the book (or maybe you've already read it) and write a paragraph or two about what sort of magic candy you'd make if you could. What power would it give you and how would you use it? Would it be one of Mrs. White's candies, another kind the kids got in the book, or something new you've come up with? Earn up to 10 points extra credit by handing it in before the end of Term 1 in the fall of 2009.
____________________________

See also my post about "Novel: The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins, posted in April. Mrs. McNeil and Mr. Derek Smith just read it, too, and very much enjoyed it.

____________________________

Request: Could someone who has read it email me a brief review of The Phantom Tollbooth? I haven't read it since I was in junior high. Maybe I'll add it to my summer reading list.
If you're in one of my classes in the fall, I'll give you term 1 extra credit, and if you're in another teacher's seventh grade class, I'll do my best to talk your teacher into giving you extra credit!