Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Eyebrows?! and Summer Reading



Have you seen the Cadbury eyebrow commercial?

If your parents will let you use youtube, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVblWq3tDwY to watch this commercial.

I'm making a text-to-text connection between these lively eyebrows and an eyebrow that comes to life in one of Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom books.

[Making connections is a great reading strategy that makes reading easier and more fun!]

In Nix's book, there is an eyebrow that comes to life and becomes a character in the book. Weird? I know. A couple of years ago I was at a conference where Garth Nix spoke and answered questions. I asked him where the idea came from for the eyebrow that came to life. Most of the people in the room looked at me as if they'd never heard of such a thing! However, for me and my daughter, that had had been one of our favorite parts of the book.

He said one day he noticed a man with very bushy eyebrows and could imagine one of those eyebrows stepping off that man's face and taking on a personality of its own. Yes, weird, but what a fun idea! You really should try out that series.

I can't remember if the eyebrow is in the first, or in a later book, but it does work best to start with Mister Monday.

Look for these books:
The Keys to the Kingdom series, starting with Mister Monday.

If you'd like smaller, easier (but still exciting and well-written) books, look for his Seventh Tower series (two out so far), starting with The Fall.

My favorite Garth Nix series is the Abhorsen (The Old Kingdom) Trilogy, starting with Sabriel.

To learn more about Garth Nix, go to his official site at http://www.garthnix.co.uk/