Thursday, February 9, 2017

Thursday/Friday, February 9/10, 2017


Announcements and Reminders:
                         
Parent-Teacher Conferences,
Thursday, February 9,
from 3:30 to 8:00 pm.



Targets for Today:

Show what you know:  
    I can read a historical or multicultural fiction book at my own reading level.
    I can recognize and explain what makes a book fit the historical or multicultural fiction book genres.
    I can compare and contrast a fictional account of an event or time period with a nonfiction account of the same event or era. 



Today’s  Agenda:

1. Prepare to go to computer lab 224.
Fill out the top part of your rubric for the book assessment

Bring a book to read should you finish early, 
bring your rubric and notes.  

2.  Type up your book assessment. Share it with me, and print it to staple to the FRONT of your rubric.
Make sure you have all of the parts on your printed response.
Edit and revise as needed. 
Share your Google Doc with the teacher, and print your assessment,
staple it to the top of the rubric, and hand it in.

For the questions about comparing and contrasting the fictional book with the nonfiction sources, tell me which one you like better and why. 
Be as specific as you can.

Examples:
[Student explains in one or two sentences what makes the book fictional.  (Usually at least some of the characters are fictional.)]
    Al Capone Does My Shirts is fictional because of the main characters. There is no way to tell the things that the person said, so to get an interesting historical fiction book you would most likely use some fictional characters, such as Moose and his sister Natalie and their parents who all move to live on Alcatraz Island.

[Student compares and/or contrasts the experience of reading fictional and nonfictional accounts of this same topic.]
    Reading fictional and Nonfictional readings on the topic of Alcatraz: Nonfiction readings about Alcatraz were mostly just history and facts, whereas my fictional readings on the topic of Alcatraz showed life through the aspect of those living in the time of when Alcatraz was functional. In the fictional book with Moose and his family and the warden's daughter Piper and the other kids we saw what life would have been like for families on Alcatraz.
(0r) 

Comparing and Contrasting the experience of reading fictional and nonfictional accounts of this same topic.
            I enjoy reading nonfiction, but a good fictional story pulls me in and pulls me along.  For instance, as I read the first section of Code Name Verity, I felt as if I was with the narrator.  It was a hard place to be since she was being tortured to give up information about the British war efforts.  On the other hand, when I read part of an online biography of a real British female spy who was captured by the Nazis, I cringed as I read about the forms of torture they used on her, but the objective encyclopedia-like listing did not touch me in the way the fictional version did.  I was with that fictional character for weeks, gradually getting to know her, her story, her ongoing sufferings and frustrations, agonies and anger.  The second section continues the story from the perspective of another narrator, a female pilot, and the two stories intertwine. The details and the scenes the fictional author created will stick in my memory much longer than the concise text of the nonfiction article.  



3. Read your choice of books. 



If You Were Absent:
Prepare your February Book Project on your own time, and hand it in as soon as possible.


Vocabulary: