Friday, April 15, 2016

Poems from Students




April Rain Song by Langston Hughes
Let the rain kiss you
Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops
Let the rain sing you a lullaby
The rain makes still pools on the sidewalk
The rain makes running pools in the gutter
The rain plays a little sleep song on our roof at night
And I love the rain.

turned in by Destiny Prasad (B3) 


_____________________________________________________

The Worst Punishment of All
By Miriam Zeidner B7


Line upon lines of dark chocolate tarts,
Sweet sugar cookies and apple pies.
Brownies in the oven and truffles in the fridge
And cold, fresh, strawberry shaved ice.


Ice cream topped in cherries
Velvet cake a radiant red
Cake pops ready to be iced
And fresh spiced gingerbread


Butterscotch pudding waiting to be scooped
Sorbet molding into beautiful spheres
Chocolate chip cookies, Angel food cake
All completely wowing my peers


My mouth waters at cherry cupcakes
Coconut cakes and petit fours.
Butter cakes and lemon squares
Chanting to the eater, “More, more, more!”


Buttermilk pie, frozen yogurt, chocolate cream
Snickerdoodles and cinnamon bars
Cheesecake lying on the counter
Chocolate, cream, and cherries all toppled in jars


Delicious cakes, cookies, puddings to eat
And yet my mom has grounded me from treats.





____________________________________________


[Untitled]
So you just sit in your seat
While all these thoughts in my mind met.
I'll just sit here struggling and hustling through
Because all this Poetry stuff is new.

I have no idea what a Poem is supposed to be.
I don't want to do this, but you're making me.
What will I write?  How can I know it?

I see no Poet,
But did I show it?

                            -- by an anonymous student

Turned in by Charlie Hawks B6



Abigail Rees  B7

EARLY BIRD

Oh, if you're a bird, be an early bird
And catch the worm for your breakfast plate.
If you're a bird be an early bird---
But if you're a worm sleep late. 



-Shel Silverstein