Friday, April 8, 2016

Monday, April 11, 2016


 Read the following poem quietly out loud to yourself.

Example:
Without a comma at my command, more
punctuation I would demand.
There'd be no brake to slow the rush of cursor
crayon pen or brush.
My days of writing soon would end without that
modest little friend
Who slips quietly in between the words in series
long or lean. 

Now, read it again to figure out where three missing commas should go. 

© Great Source

Commas keep words and ideas from running together in a sentence. They are used between words, phrases, or clauses when there are three or more in a series. 






Announcements and Reminders:
               
                                                  

Your Book of the Month Project is due next time.

The time after you will take tests on comma rules and word parts (your magical study guide word parts). 
Comma games online: 
http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/grammar/punctuation.htm
-- Select Comma Chameleon

Quiz: http://www.softschools.com/quizzes/language_arts/punctuation_comma/quiz2140.html
or http://www.softschools.com/quizzes/grammar/using_commas/quiz1004.html

http://www.eduplace.com/kids/hme/6_8/grammar/gr6/launcher.html?qid=0605




Targets for Today:
1.  I can recognize a theme (central idea) in poetry.
2.  I can use commas correctly.
3.  I know the seventh grade Greek and Latin word parts!  





Today’s  Agenda:

Individual Reading and (hopefully) finish up your Book of the Month project.


Poetry -- Today's Poems

This poem shared by Mrs. Mace --

After Zeno
"For my Father"

When he was
I was.
But I still am
and he is still.

Where is is
when is is was?
I have an is
but where is his?

Now here--
no where:
such a little
fatal pause.

There's no sense
in past tense.

-- by Kay Ryan

This poem shared by Ms. Dorsey --

APRIL - POEM BY SARA TEASDALE


The roofs are shining from the rain. 
The sparrows tritter as they fly, 
And with a windy April grace 
The little clouds go by.

Yet the back-yards are bare and brown 
With only one unchanging tree-- 
I could not be so sure of Spring 
Save that it sings in me. 


  • What is the theme (the big idea that the poet is trying to express)?
  • Is there rhyme?
  • Is there a rhythm? 

Word Parts 
A Long Walk to Water   
B5 page 17 to page 20
B6 page 25
B7 page 20





If You Were Absent:
See above.