Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Lie and Lay


LAY - Lay must have a direct object. One lays something down.  (Transitive)

(Hint: substitute "put." If "put" works, then "lay" is also correct.)
 
Conjugation of LAY:
lay (present tense)
laid (past tense)
will lay (future tense)
laid (perfect tense) (use with have, had, has)


Examples: 
lay
http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/lie-lay.html
I lay the book on the desk.      
Yesterday I laid the book on the desk.
I was laying the book on the desk.
I have laid the book on the desk.

 

LIE -To lie down is an act that can be attributed to the subject.   (Intransitive)
There is no object of this verb, as the subject is doing the action without a receiver.
(Hint: substitute "recline." If "recline" works, then "lie" is also correct)
 

Conjugation of LIE:
lie (present tense)
lay (past tense)
will lie (future tense)
lain (perfect tense) (use with have, had, has)
 
Examples: 
http://bodyweightworkout.wordpress.com/
lie
I lie on the grass.     
Yesterday I lay on the grass.    
I was lying on the grass.     
I have lain on the grass.




_______________________________________

Lie/Lay -- More Examples
The Verb "Lay"
Jerry lays the newspaper carefully by the door.   or The carriers lay the newspaper. . . .
Yesterday Jerry laid the newspaper by the door.
Jerry has laid the newspaper by the door everyday for the past year.  He deserves a generous tip.
Jerry will lay the newspaper by the door.
Jerry is laying the newspaper by the door.

The Verb "Lie"
Right now,  Cindy lies on the beach.  or The girls lie on the beach.
Yesterday Cindy lay on the beach for two hours.
Cindy has lain on the beach for at least an hour everyday for the past two weeks.
Cindy will lie on the beach again tomorrow.
Cindy is lying on the beach.  I wonder if she reads books while she's lying there. 


__________________________

Lie/Lay activity

LIE -To lie down is an act that can be attributed to the subject.
There is no object of this verb, as the subject is doing the action without a receiver.
(Hint: substitute "recline." If "recline" works, then "lie" is also correct)
 
Conjugation of LIE:
lie (present tense)
lay (past tense)
will lie (future tense)
lain (perfect tense) (use with have, had, has)
lying

Examples:
As I lie in the grass looking up at the sky, I see a blue dragon flying eastward.

Yesterday as I lay in the grass looking up in the sky, I saw a blue dragon flying eastward.

I will lie in the grass tomorrow, looking for the dragon to fly by again.

I have lain in the grass for three weeks, and haven't seen the blue dragon again.  I have seen only yellow, red, and green dragons. 

I have been lying in the grass so much, my clothes have all turned green. 



LAY - Lay must have a direct object. One lays something down.
(Hint: substitute "put." If "put" works, then "lay" is also correct.)
 
Conjugation of LAY:
lay (present tense)
laid (past tense)
will lay (future tense)
laid (perfect tense) (use with have, had, has)
laying  

As I lay the blood-encrusted sword under my desk, Mr. Farnsworth walks into the classroom and asks me to come to the office.

The last time I laid my sword under my desk, no one noticed it there.

Next time I fight a battle before school, I will lay my sword in a safe, hidden place.

In the past I have laid my sword under a bush when I saw Mr. Green coming.

I was laying my  sword under the bush when Mr. Dalley stepped up behind me. 

Disclaimer:  Students, do not bring your swords to school, even if you have been in a battle with a dragon that morning.

Learn about tenses at http://leo.stcloudstate.edu/grammar/tenses.html#present%20perfect   


Saturday, January 24, 2009


Using the Irregular Verbs Lie and Lay 

The verbs lay and lie:
verb              meaning     forms: 1. present, 2, present participle (with helping verb), 3. past, 4. past participle (with helping verb)
"lay" means "to place"   forms:   1. lay, 2, laying,  3. laid, 4. laid
"lie" means "to recline"  forms: 1. lie, 2. lying, 3. lay, 4. lain

Notes on Lie/Lay Confusions

Lay, laid, laid  = to place   -- Notice that this verb takes a direct object.  That means it is acting on an object.  In the following sentences the object is the book.

Present tense (happening right now):  I __________ the book on my desk. (lay)
Past tense (happened in the past): Yesterday I __________ the book on my desk.  (laid)
Past participle (has happened in the past and may still be happening):
       I have _________ that book on my desk every day for a week.  (laid)

Lie, lay, lain = to recline   -- Notice that this verb does not take a direct object.  It is not doing something to an object. 
Present tense:  I ___________ on the couch right now.   (lie)
Past tense: Yesterday I __________ on the couch.  (lay)
Past participle:  I have ___________ on the couch every day for a week.  (lain)
 

Using the Irregular Verbs Lie and Lay  -- See this post for more information.

 Practice: (If you were absent, copy this, complete it, and hand it in.)
For each of these sentences tell whether the verb past, present, future, or perfect.
Then change the verb to the correct lie or lay verb.


Harold reclines in the arm chair.

Harold puts his sister in a car seat.

Leslie reclined on the Spongebob Squarepants chair.

Leslie put her purse on the Spongebob Squarepants chair.

Mark will recline in his hotel room.

Mark will put his briefcase in his hotel room.

Jimmy has reclined by the pool way too much this summer.

Jimmy’s friends have put firecrackers under his lounge chair. 

 

Lie/Lay -- More Examples
The Verb "Lay"
Jerry lays the newspaper carefully by the door.   or The carriers lay the newspaper. . . .
Yesterday Jerry laid the newspaper by the door.
Jerry has laid the newspaper by the door everyday for the past year.  He deserves a generous tip.
Jerry will lay the newspaper by the door.
Jerry is laying the newspaper by the door.

The Verb "Lie"
Right now,  Cindy lies on the beach.  or The girls lie on the beach.
Yesterday Cindy lay on the beach for two hours.
Cindy has lain on the beach for at least an hour everyday for the past two weeks.
Cindy will lie on the beach again tomorrow.
Cindy is lying on the beach.  I wonder if she reads books while she's lying there.  
 http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=8203883204267677790#editor/target=post;postID=5734729962575725879
Confusing Words : Lie/Lay
Use these forms of the confusing verbs lie and lay correctly in the following sentences:
Lie, lay, lain, lying, lay, laid, laid, laying
You may use your yellow half-sheet with the rules.

1. “My Bonnie ____________(s) over the ocean.
My Bonnie _____________(s) over the sea, . . .”

2. “Now I ________ me down to sleep”

3. Jonas was __________ (use an “ing” word) on the grass,
as he felt the warm sunshine.

4. Father was _________ (use an “ing” word) the newchild into the basket.

5. Yesterday, the Giver _________ his hands on Jonas’ back.

6. I have ________ on the deck by the pool until I was badly sunburned.

7. The bricklayers have __________ five rows of bricks for our new gate.

8. I love to ___________looking up at the stars on a clear summer night.

9. It’s time to ___________ down our weapons and sign a peace agreement.

10. If you’re just going to ________ down on the job, you won’t get paid.  

Lie/lay:   Which is the correct form to use in each of these sentences?  
   " When he revived, he was (laying, lying) in the hot sun in the middle of a garden path. . . "
   "The head was (laying, lying) a little clear of the water jar. . . " 
Notes on Lie/Lay Confusions
Lay, laid, laid = to place -- Notice that this verb takes a direct object. That means it is acting on an object. In the following sentences the object is the book.

Present tense (happening right now): I __________ the book on my desk.
Past tense (happened in the past): Yesterday I __________ the book on my desk.
Past participle (has happened in the past and may still be happening):
I have _________ that book on my desk every day for a week.

Lie, lay, lain = to recline -- Notice that this verb does not take a direct object. It is not doing something to an object.
Present tense: I ___________ on the couch.
Past tense: Yesterday I __________ on the couch.
Past participle: I have ___________ on the couch every day for a week.
Write original, complete sentences, correctly using each of the following forms of lie or lay. Capitalize and punctuate each sentence.
1. lie (present tense, meaning "to recline.")
2. lay (past tense of lie)
3. lain (always goes with a helping verb)
4. lying

5. lay (present tense, meaning "to put or to place")
6. laid (past tense of lay)
7. laid (using a helping verb)
8. laying 
    

Grammar Girl: Don't You Dare Lay. . . .  (Podcast on Ms. Dorsey's iTunes)