Saturday, April 2, 2011

Chronological Internal Text Structure

Examples of Chronological Text Structure:


   Walt Disney might be the only filmmaker who claimed to owe his success to a rodent.   At first, Disney was an animator who produced a cartoon series called "Oswald the Rabbit."  Then he decided to launch out on his own.   Realizing that he needed a new animated character, he remembered a friendly mouse from a studio he had once worked in.  He decided to name his new character after this old friend, whom he fondly called Mortimer Mouse.  Later, he changed the name to Mickey.   After only a few cartoons appeared, Mickey Mouse fever swept the nation.   Soon, he became an international figure.  The French called him "Michel Souris" while the Italians dubbed him "Topolo."  During World War II, "Mickey-Mouse" became a secret password in the Allied Command.  Disney created many other lovable characters, but none achieved the popularity of that cute little mouse with the white gloves. 


from p. 81, Fawsett and Sandberg, Evergreen, A Guide to Writing , 5th Edition

Orange indicates the topic sentence.
Blue is for the concluding sentence -- the clincher.
Green indicates cue/clue words for description.

      Last September, I watched my ten-year-old grandson act like an adult in an emergency.  While cleaning the living room carpet, I tripped and fell over the vacuum cleaner hose.  At first, I was dazed.  Soon I realized that my left arm hurt terribly.  I  called to my grandson Joel, who was the only other person at home.  When Joel saw me on the floor, his face went pale.  Then he calmly took charge of the situation.  He went to the phone and dialed for emergency help.  I heard him give our address, exact details of what had happened, and a description of the position I was lying in.  I could tell that he was carefully listening to the instructions he was given.  Returning to the living room, Joel covered me with a wool blanket and told me that an ambulance was on its way.  He sat by my side in the ambulance and stayed with me while the doctor treated me.  My sprained arm bothered me for only three weeks, but I will always feel proud of what my grandson did on that day.


from p. 79, Fawsett and Sandberg, Evergreen, A Guide to Writing , 5th Edition