Saturday, January 24, 2009

Using the Irregular Verbs Lie and Lay


An irregular verb is a verb that doesn't change tense the way most verbs do.

Verb tense has to do with time. Are you doing it now, or did you do it in the past, or will you do it in the future?

A regular verb such as "laugh" adds "ed" when it changes to past tense.

Present Tense: I laugh now.
Past Tense: Yesterday I laughed.
Future Tense: Tomorrow I will laugh.

Some verbs show tense in other ways.
For instance,
Present Tense: I run now.
Past Tense: Yesterday I ran. (not "runned")

Lie and lay are irregular verbs. They are two different verbs meaning different things, but they often get mixed up. That is why we study them along with our 7th grade confusing words.

Lie means "to recline or rest."
Here is how you show time with the verb lie:

Present Tense: I lie on my bed now.
Past Tense: Yesterday I lay on my bed.
Future Tense: Tomorrow I will lie on my bed again.
And: I have been lying on my bed.
I have lain on my bed many times.

Lay means "to put something down or to place something somewhere." You could use "put" or "place" instead of "lay."
Here is how you show time with the verb lay:

Present Tense: I lay the baby on the bed now.
Past Tense: Yesterday I laid the baby on the bed.
Future Tense: Tomorrow I will lay the baby on the bed again.
And: I have been laying the baby on my bed every day.
I have laid that sleeping baby on my bed many times.

"Lie" is an action I do to myself, but I do the verb "lay" to something or someone else.
In English class terms, the verb "lay" takes a direct object.

________________________________


-->
Some verbs take a direct object. (Transitive) They do something to something.
need       “I need money.”
hit          “I hit the ball.”
kick            “I kicked my brother.”
destroy  “The transformer destroyed the city.
kiss        “I kissed Ernestine.”
The verb “lay” takes a direct object. It is transitive.
         “I carefully laid the beef roast inside the bars of the lion’s cage.”
  [The forms of the verb are lay, laid, has been laying, has laid.]

Some verbs do not take a direct object. (Intransitive)  They just do.
looked     “I looked, but didn’t see anything.” 
slept        “I slept all night.”
The verb “lie” does not take a direct object.  It is intransitive.
[The forms of the verb are lie, lay, has been lying, has lain.]
         "I will quietly lie behind the fence until the guards have passed."
         "Last night I quietly lay behind the fence until the guards had passed."

Some verbs can be either transitive or intransitive: shook, felt, read.

Intransitive                                             
When I get frightened, I shake.    
That was how I felt.                                     
I read all night.  
                           
Transitive 
I shook the apples out of the tree.
I felt the slimy surface of the dragon's tongue.
I read the book in one night. 
 ___________________________________________

The Irregular Verbs  Lie and Lay

lie
I lie on the grass.     
Yesterday I lay on the grass.    
I was lying on the grass.     
I have lain on the grass.

lay
I lay the book on the desk.      
Yesterday I laid the book on the desk.
I was laying the book on the desk.
I have lain the book on the desk.


Some verbs are IRREGULAR (weird).
You need to know these irregular verbs:  lie and lay





http://bodyweightworkout.wordpress.com/


lie = to recline



past
(Yesterday . . . )
past
participle and past perfect
using was, had, etc.
(Yesterday . . . )



present 

(Now  . .)
present
participle
and present perfect
using 
is, have been

(Now. . . )



future

(Tomorrow....)
I
lay
was lying
had lain
  lie
am lying
have been lying
will lie
he, she, it
lay
was lying
had lain
 lies
 is lying
has been lying
will lie
singular noun --lamp

 lay
was lying
had lain
 lies
 is lying, has been lying,

will lie
they, we
 lay
were lying
had lain
lie
 are lying, have been lying
will lie
plural noun
lamps
 lay
were lying
had lain
lie
 are  lying
have been lying
will lie




lay = to put or place
past
(Yesterday . . . )
past participle
and past perfect
using was,  had etc.
(Yesterday . . . )
present 

(Now  . .)
present participle
and present perfect
am, have been

(Now  . .)
future

(Tomorrow....)
I
 laid
 was laying
had laid
 lay
am laying,
have been laying
will lay
he, she, it
 laid
 was laying
had laid
lays
is laying
has been laying
will lay
singular noun
  ape
 laid
 was laying
had laid
lays
is laying
has been laying
will lay
they, we
laid
were laying
had laid
lay
are laying, have been laying
will lay
plural noun
apes

laid

were laying
had laid
lay
are laying, have been laying
will lay


Lie and Lay