1. Bell-Ringer: In your composition book, label the page with today's day. Then respond to this prompt: On page 26 in The Outsiders, Ponyboy says, "You take up [stand up] for your buddies, no matter what they do." Do you believe this? Explain why or why not. Write a half page or more.
2. Reading Minute:
A1 Leven Thumps and the Ruins of Alder by Obert Skye
A2 The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
A3 Deep, Dark, and Dangerous by Mary Downing Hahn
Bites: Scary Stories to Sink Your Teeth Into "Perpetual Pest" by Neal Shusterman and Terry Black
A4 Crash by Jerry Spinelli
Character and Conflict in Literature
* Don't forget to fill in your chart about a character from The Outsiders.
Today, consider what you would say if you were the character you're focusing on, and if you were called to testify or to answer questions in a press conference.
Would these characters actually be asked to participate in a press conference? (today's laws about juvenile defendants)
Today we read from The Outsiders: (the track and time information are notes for me, the teacher)
A1 top of page 90, Disk 3, Track 1, 8:30 to page 106, Disk 3, track 1, minute 35:28
A2 page 90 "Would you rather have me living in hide-outs. . . " Disk 3, Track 1, minute 9:11 to page 106, Disk 3, track 1, minute 35:28
A3 top of page 89, Disk 3, Track 1, minute 6:25 to page 106, Disk 3, track 1, minute 35:28
A4 page 90 "Would you rather have me living in hide-outs. . . "Disk 3, Track 1, minute 9:11 to page 104, Disk 3, Track 1, Minute 32:01
What do you think would have happened if Pony, Johnny, and Dally hadn't been there at the fire?
4. Spelling/Vocabulary: Do you know your commonly confused words yet? Make sure you're using them correctly in your writing. confused words chart.doc 43.0 KB
Dictation or Sparkle or ? with the commonly confused words.
- Pony felt bored while he waited at the hospital.
- The reporters asked a lot of questions.
- The two other boys looked younger when they were asleep, too.
- Are you writing on your character chart?
Your October Book-of-the-Month Assignment is due October 19. Have your book read and bring it and your extensive notes on a character from the book. You should be signing up for your book of the month. The last day you may receive points for signing up is October 8.
If you were absent when we went to the lab to take these tests, you will need to take the MyAccess writing test in computer lab (Room 223) during one Cave Time, and the SRI in the computer lab during another.
If you were here and did not finish the SRI, you may finish it in the computer lab (Room 223) during Cave Time. For the SRI, print your results and bring them to me.
Your September Book-of-the-Month project was due on the 21st. You may still hand it in for points minus 25% up until October 22nd.
October 22 is the last day to hand in late or revised work for the first term (which ends October 29).
Make sure you're up-to-date on your composition book at The Composition Book -- So Far.
Extra credit: How many ways are there to make change from one dollar?