Friday, October 22, 2010

October 27, 2010

Important Reminder:  Friday the 22nd was the last day to hand in late and revised work for Term 1. If you have an F, see me. 

1.  Bell-Ringer: 
Divide this passage from Hidden Talents by David Lubar into sentences.  Insert punctuation and double- underline letters that should be capitalized because they begin a sentence.
All other punctuation and capitalization has been left as it should be, except the beginnings and endings of sentences – and except one spelling error that you should be able to find and circle.  (Paragraphing has also been removed, but we’ll talk about that another time.) 

All I needed was handcuffs if my wrists had been chained to the seat, the scene could have been taken straight from one of the movies where they show the bus bringing the new guy to the prison of course, there wasn’t any need for cuffs on this ride fill my pockets with rocks, add a couple more layers of winter clothes – wet winter clothes – and I might push the scale up toward ninety pounds the bus driver looked like he weighed three times that much his wrists were thicker than my neck he could probably crumple me up like a used tissue and still keep one hand on the steering wheel no way was I going to cause him any trouble
(We’re skipping some text.  The narrator gets to his destination, gets off the bus, and is greeted by the principal of his new school. Just as the principal was taking him to his dorm room, the following happens.)
When I heard the kid shout, “FIRE!” my brain said, Get out of here, but my feet said, Freeze my feet won suddenly, kids were running all over the place along both sides of the hall, doors flew open and kids popped out, almost like they were throwing a giant surprise party far down at the end of the hall, smoke drifted from a room there wasn’t a lot of smoke – just a trickle – but any smoke is bad if it isn’t supposed to be there at least the fire wasn’t between me and the stairs I relaxed when I realized I wasn’t trapped “its Torchie’s room,” one kid said  “he did it again”     (By the way, Torchie will be the narrator’s roommate.)

  _____________________________________________ 

2.  Reading Minute:  See the calendar for your day.

A1 Summer of the Swans by Betsy Byars       Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen

A2   Junebug by  Alice Mean       Holes by Louis Sachar

A3  Cirque du Freak: Trials of Death by Darren Shan

A4   Pretties by Scott Westerfield

 

4.  Reading:  Developing reading skills and learning literature terms and strategies. 


The Outsiders -- We will be watching the movie, comparing and contrasting the movie with the book, and comparing and contrasting the way the characters are portrayed in the movie and in the book.

A1 watched movie through 45:18
A2 finished book, watched movie to minute 27 
A3  track 2, minute 33:34  to end and movie to minute 34. (Socs chasing Pony and Johnny at the park)
A4 to end and movie to minute 35:26