Friday, October 22, 2010

October 25, 2010

Important reminders:
October 22 was the last day to hand in late or revised work for the first term (which ends October 29).  
Your October Book-of-the-Month Assignment  was due October 19. You should have turned in your  yellow sheet filled out and with notes, and/typed the essay on MyAccess  by Friday, October 22.

Your September Book-of-the-Month project was due on the 21st.  You were able to hand it in for points minus 25% up until October 22nd.

We checked your composition books on October 13.   You also were able to turn in the grading on and do make-up work on your composition book up through the 22nd. If you haven't been here since the 13th, see me.  The Composition Book -- So Far.   Make-up work for composition book: Make-up Work for Composition Book

If you have an F in the class, please see me.

_________________________________________________________________

1.  Bell-Ringer:  
 
Divide this passage from Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George into sentences.  Insert punctuation and double- underline letters that should be capitalized because they begin a sentence.
All other punctuation and capitalization has been left as it should be, except the beginnings and endings of sentences – and except one spelling error that you should be able to find and circle.  (Paragraphing has also been removed, but we’ll talk about that another time.)
 It was my aunt who decided to give me to the dragon not that she was evil, or didn’t care for me its just that we were very poor, and she was as we said in those parts, dumber than two turnips in a rain barrel my father had been a terrible farmer, and too proud to admit it, so he had struggled on year after year despite countless failed harvests it had only been my mother’s skill with embroidery that kept us from starvation she had sewn fancywork for all of the merchants’ wives and once for the lady of the manor but now Mother and Father were dead of a fever, leaving me and my brother, Hagen, to the mercy of my father’s sister and her husband, who weren’t exactly wealthy themselves after the sale of our farm brought only enough money to pay off the mortgage, my aunt proposed the idea that I might marry into money and so pull the rest of the family out of poverty but while I was pleasant enough to look at, with blue eyes and a small nose, my straw-yellow hair was also straw-straight and I was sadly freckled to be blunt, I was not beauty, and as I could not spin straw into gold or cry diamond tears, there was no reason for a wealthy suitor to overlook the fact that I had no dowry whatsoever  “it will have to be the dragon,” my silly aunt declared as we all sat around the hearth, holding what my uncle called a council of war   “surely a brave adventuring knight will save her from its clutches,” she continued.



  _____________________________________________ 

2.  Reading Minute:  See the calendar for your day.

A1  Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

A2 Cavern of the Fear by Emily Rodda

A3  Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan

A4 None

3.  Reading:  Developing reading skills and learning literature terms and strategies. 

The Outsiders

Today we read from The Outsiders: (the track and time information are notes for me, the teacher) 

 

A1  page 168, disk 4, track 2, minute 17:45  to end of book. 

A2   page 157, Disk 4, track 2 minute 2:35  to page 17

A3  page 153, disk   4 , track  1, minute   37:10 to track 2, minute 33:34

A4   page 153, disk 4  , track 1 , minute 37:10  to track 2, minute 


Themes: 
"You don't just stop living because you lose someone.  . . . You don't quit." page 173

Families should stick together against anything.  p. 176
Understanding should go two ways.  p. 174





Here's a fun site -- especially if you are a Harry Potter fan!
http://harrypotter.scholastic.com/