The llama (in the red pajamas) gave his mama a flower
because he loves her.
The sentence is complex because it has an
independent clause: The llama (in the red pajamas) gave his mama a flower
and a dependent clause:because he loves her.
The subordinating conjunction "because" makes "he loves her" dependent.
1. Place parentheses around any prepositional phrases. ( )
2. Circle the verb or verbs. [The action or what is being done.]
3. Underline the subject(s). Who or what is doing the verbs?
4. Double underline the object(s). Who or what is affected by the action of the verb?
5. Write the answer to this question: Is the sentence simple, compound, or complex? Why?