Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Capitalization


Capitalization Rules
What gets Capitalized?                                                 Example____________
First word in a sentence                                                Cats are cool.
Proper nouns; names of people and places                 
        the whole place name
Titles before people’s names
I —
Titles (also italicized or in quotation marks!)
Time: Months, days of the week
Nationalities
Holidays
Names of specific classes
Relationship words when used as a name

*A note about names: names of school subjects (like History 7, Utah History, but not "I like history class."), religions, and regions   (like the North and the South if you’re talking about the Civil War) are also capitalized.

*Tricky: When a relationship word is used as a name, it gets capitalized (ex: When I
asked Mom, she said I could come over.) When it is treated as a description of a person
(ex: My mom told me to clean my room,) it is lowercase.





Capitalization Rules
What gets Capitalized?                                                 Examples -- Thanks to B5!_
First word in a sentence                                                Cats are cool.
Proper nouns; names of people and places                   Bob McTaco, Zion National Park,
        the whole place name                                            Taco Bell, Utah,  American Fork Canyon
Titles before people’s names                            Mr.   Mrs.   Ms.   Sir   Doctor   Dr.
I —  always, always, always!
Titles (also italicized or in quotation marks!)         The Hunger Games,  "Nothing Gold Can Stay"
Time: Months, days of the week                             Today is Thursday, March 15, 2018. 
Nationalities                                                            Hispanic, Irish
Holidays                                                                  Halloween, Saint Patrick's Day
Names of specific classes                                        I am taking Creative Writing Junior and
                                                                                         Seventh Grade Science.
                                                                                   but not ---   My favorite classes are
                                                                                           creative writing and science.
                                                                       
Relationship words when used as a name                I love my mom!   We went to the store
                                                                                           with Mom and Sally.       

*A note about names: names of school subjects (like History 7, Utah History, but not "I like history class."), religions, and regions   (like the North and the South if you’re talking about the Civil War) are also capitalized.

*Tricky: When a relationship word is used as a name, it gets capitalized (ex: When I
asked Mom, she said I could come over.) When it is treated as a description of a person
(ex: My mom told me to clean my room,) it is lowercase.