Saturday, May 23, 2015

Tuesday/Wednesday, May 26/27, 2015

Announcements and Reminders:
-- Hand in your unused hall passes if you haven't yet.

-- Today the teacher will check your composition book for Pay It Forward, Child Soldiers, your list of adjectives for temperature, and Summer. 

Have a GREAT SUMMER!

Summer Reading Suggestions -- 2015



Activities:
1.  In your composition book,  under Notes and QuickWrites,  respond to this poem or any line or set of lines.  You could write about what you do during the summer.  Write half a page or more.  Label it "Summer." 

A Poem  to Fit the Occasion -- Almost

We need volunteers to help read this out loud. 
Dreaming of Summer

I'm dreaming of warm sandy beaches.
I'm dreaming of days by the pool.
I'm dreaming of fun in the afternoon sun,
and week after week of no school.

I'm thinking of swim suits and sprinklers,
imagining lemonade stands.
I'm lost in a daydream of squirt guns and ice cream
and plenty of time on my hands.

I'm picturing baseball and hot dogs,
Envisioning games at the park,
and how it stays light until late every night,
and seems like it never gets dark.

I long to ride skateboards and scooters.
I want to wear t-shirts and shorts.
I'd go for a hike, or I'd ride on my bike,
or play lots of summertime sports.

My revery turns to a yearning
to draw on the driveway with chalk.
It's really a bummer to daydream of summer
while shoveling snow from the walk.

--Kenn Nesbitt


Changing the last stanza slightly would make it a better fit for today:

My revery turns to a yearning
to draw on the driveway with chalk.
It's really a bummer to daydream of summer
while listening to my teacher talk .



The teacher will check your composition book for Pay It Forward, Child Soldiers, your list of adjectives for temperature, and Summer. 
When the teacher gives you permission, you may take home or recycle your composition books. 

2. Finish reading A Long Walk to Water

A1  to page 107 -- Finished.

B5  page 81 to page 113
B6  page 79  to page 109
B7 page 73 to page 104



3. View, compare, look for elements of literature. (about 23 minutes) 
Some students may be assigned to fill in the Venn Diagram for A Long Walk To Water and the segment we watch from The Good Lie.  

A Long Walk to Water                     The Good Lie






















Here is the site for Salva's project:
http://www.waterforsouthsudan.org/