Announcements and Reminders:
Your Book-of-the-Month is due Tuesday/Wednesday, October 10/11.
Read your book before then and be ready to discuss it.
The term ends on October 18, and
the last day to hand in late or make-up work is October 11.
Targets for Today:
Utah State Core -- Writing Standard 1
Support claim(s) with logical reasoning and relevant evidence, using accurate, credible sources and demonstrating an understanding of the topic or text.
Don't let me forget the drawings! for B5 (because I forgot last time!)
1. Pick up your composition books and papers for collecting evidence.
2. Individual, quiet reading time -- Read your own book-of-the-month book, or another book.
3. Working on your Outsiders Essay
STUDYING EXAMPLES OF ESSAYS -- B5/B7
Underline Thesis = claim with reasonsGreen: Topic Sentences.
What is this essay missing?
Writing a Thesis Sentence: Claim with Reasons
Names for your essay:
Johnny Cade Robert (Bob) Sheldon Ponyboy Curtis
Which Sentence is "Not Good," Better, or Best? Central Ideas/Claims
A1/A2 Did an activity with
Claim, Reasons, Evidence, and Explanations
Claim: I should have my own cell phone.
Audience: Mom and Dad
Purpose: I want to convince my parents that I should have my own cell phone.
Formal or Informal: Pretty informal
3. Continue collecting evidence for your essay based on The Outsiders.
4. Hot Seat! Speaking the evidence with Explanation -- "hot seats" and the rest of us observe and add to our pink evidence sheets.
You can't just present a piece of evidence. You must explain how it supports a particular claim.
Reasons, Evidence, and Explanations -- Which is Which?
If You Were Absent:
See above. Make sure you are ready, with your book read, for our Book-of-the-Month discussions.