Thursday, July 7, 2011

Ms. Dorsey's Summer Reading

Here's a fun site for middle grade readers: http://www.fromthemixedupfiles.com/ 

This is a review on another blog of a nonfiction book about Amelia Earhart that I'd like to get a hold of.

Amelia Lost by Candace Fleming

Here's another book I'd like to get -- a sort of biographical comic book by Jon Scieszka:  http://www.amazon.com/Knucklehead-Almost-Stories-Growing-Scieszka/dp/067001138X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310661827&sr=1-1

August 9:  I'm reading I Am Number Four.  No, I haven't seen the movie yet.  I'm waiting until after I've read the book. 


When school got out I was reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series.  I finished that and read Elantris.  Now I'm reading Warbreaker, also by Sanderson.  He truly is a great fantasy writer. July 13, 2011-- I finished Warbreaker.   I can recommend Elantris and the Mistborn trilogy for my students, but Warbreaker is a more adult book (sensuality), but still excellent for more mature readers. 
For more information on Brandon Sanderson and his books, go to http://www.brandonsanderson.com/
By the way,  he might be your neighbor since he is a local author.

I'm also reading Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card.  Just finished it on July 7.  Excellent science fiction, but you have to be willing to think to get the most out this book.  And it definitely indicates that it is  to be the beginning of a series.  Yay! Reviews for Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card

Today I got this book in the mail and started reading it:
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.
I don't want to put it down, but must do other things.    I'd recommend it for high school age and adults.
Find out more at http://www.amazon.com/Miss-Peregrines-Home-Peculiar-Children/dp/1594744769/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309320535&sr=1-1 
Later:  I've finished it and really did enjoy it.  And it turns out it's the beginning of a series. People outside of our Utah community recommend it for "Tweens," but there is some language that would be found offensive here.

Another teacher recently showed me a book titled Eva by Peter Dickinson, which is about a fourteen year old girl  who "following a terrible car crash, . . . awakens from a strange dream and finds herself in a hospital bed. Medical science, in this book's future setting, has allowed doctors to pull her functioning brain from her crushed body and put it into the able body of a. . . . "  The premise reminds me of The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson, though science in the world of that book  is used very differently.
July 5, 2011 -- I've read Eva and found it fascinating.  The basic premise is rather frightening, though, and there are very matter-of-fact and not exploitative mentions of  animal reproduction.
Here's a related link from the real world (nonfiction). 
 http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2011/12/15/143735486/retirement-home-or-research-lab-report-weighs-fate-of-u-s-chimpanzees?sc=fb&cc=fp


Here is an interview with Gary Schmidt:  See an interview with Mr. Schmidt at http://noveljourney.blogspot.com/2008/05/ya-author-interview-gary-schmidt.html
Have you read Wednesday Wars yet, or Okay for Now?