Saturday, December 22, 2007

What I'm Reading



What I'm Reading

Update on January 29. I finished Fablehaven, and I recommend it. I took a break from Seeing Red (so much violence!), and read Mira, Mirror, which also has a considerable amount of violence! Mira, Mirror (by a Utah author -- Mette Ivie Harrison) is the story of the mirror from the fairy tale "Snow White," though it gives only a couple of brief mentions of the actual Snow White story. This is a story told from the perspective of the mirror, an enchanted woman who schemes to collect enough magic to free herself.

Earlier entry:
So far this vacation, I'm continuing to read Fablehaven (almost done), and Seeing Red (about halfway though). I recommend both, though Seeing Red has more violence in it than I usually prefer. It is the second in the The Looking Glass Wars series. This is a whole new take on the Alice in Wonderland story. I have books and CD's of the first book in the Looking Glass Wars series available for student checkout after the holidays.
I also started Gossamer by Lois Lowry during advisory time reading, and hope to finish it over the holidays.
While cleaning house, I've started listening to CD's of The City of Ember and Sir Thursday. At the beginning of The City of Ember I'm seeing some similarities with The Giver. In Ember, children are also given an assigned job at the age of 12. In this city, though, the elders don't decide; the students pull their jobs assignments out of a bag.
Happy Christmas, and happy reading to you!