Thursday, June 12, 2014

Figurative Language



Figurative Language 

Figurative Language for Blog.ppt   

    • simile:  The rumors spread like wildfire
      • “My legs ached and my neck was stiff. But with each defeated kite, hope grew in my heart, like snow collecting on a wall, one flake at a time.”(Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner, page 64)
      • metaphor:  That test was a piece of cake. 
        • Words were secret doorways and I held all the keys.” (Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner, page 30)
        • "I dive into the stream of fourth-period lunch students and swim down the hall to the cafeteria." (Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, page 7.)
      • personification: The brown grass is hoping for rain.
        • "Whoever invented these boots should be shot because once the boots got ahold of your shoes they wouldn't let them go for anything."(Christopher Paul Curtis-The Watsons Go to Birmingham-1963, p. 48)
      • hyperbole:  I will die if he asks me to speak in front of the class.
        • "I started throwing up a ton of water and food. If there was a forest fire somewhere all they would have to do is hold me over it and I would have put it out! I threw up and coughed and choked and vomited about a million times, and all this just because I'd breathed in some air!" 
          (Christopher Paul Curtis, The Watsons Go to Birmingham-1963, p. 178)

    More examples:  

    Some Figurative Language Collected from Literature