Wednesday, October 14, 2009

October 14/19, 2009

 October 14/19, 2009


1. Time  for reading the Book-of-the-Month Club books.
Watch for what you're learning from the book, or what  you appreciate about your book.  What will you tell the author about your experience with this book?

I'm going to give you longer to read your October book.  You have until the end of the month to have it read and be ready to write your letter to the author. 

[ B1  looked at passage from a novel, and talked about why words in it are (and aren't capitalized). 

    When I was nine, my parents borrowed my grandmother's new Ford Mustang because it had air conditioning and because my grandmother insisted, and because there was no way our old Chevy could make the two thousand miles from our house on Mayo Avenue in Houston to Decker, Montana, where my father's old Army buddy owned a sheep ranch. . . . It was the first day after third grade at Pearl Rucker Elementary School, and I held the bag of peppermints Mrs. Dodge had given me, along with a note: "Thank you for being my star this year."  I didn't like peppermints, but they were from Mrs. Dodge, and I loved Mrs. Dodge.  So my two younger sisters wouldn't get a single one for the whole drive there and back.  We drew imaginary boundaries on the vinyl seat and dared each other to cross them.
 -- Kathi Appelt, My Father's Summers (2004)


--Why aren't "grandmother's"  and "grandmother" capitalized? ]

 



2. The Outsiders (Follow along and watch for information about your assigned character. Also watch for themes.)
Reading The Outsiders -- Watch for topics and themes.
B1 -- page 96, to page 118


B2 -- page 96 to page  (Help me out, please, students.  I didn't write it down.)



B4 -- page 109  to page 125
We also wrote about a quote from Johnny on page 121: "Sixteen years ain't long enough. . . '


A1 -- page 99 to page115  "I'm not going to show at the rumble tonight."


A2 -- page 107 to page 122 "A nurse appeared in the doorway."


A4 - page 109 to page 127 "Cherry Valance was sitting. . . "





B4 and A2 and         wrote to this prompt in their composition books:
Under writing, record today's date, then answer the question, "What do you want to see and experience and accomplish during your life?"  Johnny says on page 121, "I don't want to die now.  It ain't long enough.  Sixteen years ain't long enough.  I wouldn't mind it so much if there wasn't so much stuff I ain't done yet and so many things I ain't seen.  It's not fair."  So what do you want to see and experience and accomplish before you die?