Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mentor Sentences that Use Colons


Here are some great sentences that use colons. I'm giving myself extra credit for finding them because I collected the sentences, and gave the book, the author, and the pages they are from.

They're from Jerry Spinelli's book Smiles to Go, pages 30 and 31.
By the way, I greatly admire and enjoy Jerry Spinelli's writing, and I think a lot of you would like this book. Its lexile level is L490, but the interest level is much higher than that.
Ask me sometime to tell you about when I met Jerry Spinelli. To a junior high English teacher, that's like meeting a movie star or a rock star!

This is my summary of what's going on at this point in the book:
One of his best friends has recently made a name for himself at school by riding a skateboard down Dead Man’s Hill. Now Will is standing alone with his own skateboard at the top of Dead Man’s Hill, knowing that B.T. really did it, but not understanding how he could have.

Here are the sentences from the book:
The rising sun was straight ahead. I could look directly at it because it was bloody orange and just over the horizon and smoky with clouds. When I looked at the sun, my eyes were crossing 93 million miles of space. But my feet wouldn’t cross another inch. . .

Ninety three million miles of space in front of me, and every inch of it seemed packed with the things I was afraid of: high places, cramped places, dark places, thousand-leggers, speed, flying, death, change, time, pain, failure, criticism, roller coasters, train tracks, being wrong, being smelly, being late, being stupid, being rejected, black mambos, leeches, hantavirus, losing, deep water, uncertainty, being buried alive, being caught being afraid, myself. . .
I could see my epitaph:

HERE LIES WILLIAM JAY TUPPENCE
HE WAS AFRAID


from Smiles to Go by Jerry Spinelli, pages 30, 31