Saturday, July 20, 2013

Different Places, Different Words

What do you call these?  Soda?  Pop? Soda Pop?  Soft drinks?   Carbonated Beverages? 

from Brian P. Cleary
From the regionial word department: There are parts of the US, for instance, that use the word "davenport" for couch, or "veranda" instead of porch, or "pop" instead of soda. When I was about 20, I found that in parts of the Northeast, a "bubbler" is what I (from Cleveland) would have called a drinking fountain.

What do you call this?  A sofa?  A couch?  A davenport?