Thursday, May 6, 2010

May 12/13, 2010

May 12/13, 2010

Book-of-the-Month Project is due:  Book Quilt square.  See assignment directions and grading sheet.   Points will be deducted if you do not hand in the assignment sheet with the square.

You will be able to hand it in late until Friday afternoon, May 14.  After that, late points will be deducted.  Remember that May 21 is the last day to hand in late or revised work.

_____________________________________________________________________
Please return all books you've checked out from me -- and make sure I sign them back in -- by May 14.  I'll hand in the list of fines soon after that.

In your composition book label entry "Friendship."  Tell what friendship means to you, and/or describe a true friend.


Lie/Lay activity

LIE -To lie down is an act that can be attributed to the subject.
There is no object of this verb, as the subject is doing the action without a receiver.
(Hint: substitute "recline." If "recline" works, then "lie" is also correct)
 
Conjugation of LIE:
lie (present tense)
lay (past tense)
will lie (future tense)
lain (perfect tense) (use with have, had, has)
lying

Examples:
As I lie in the grass looking up at the sky, I see a blue dragon flying eastward.

Yesterday as I lay in the grass looking up in the sky, I saw a blue dragon flying eastward.

I will lie in the grass tomorrow, looking for the dragon to fly by again.

I have lain in the grass for three weeks, and haven't seen the blue dragon again.  I have seen only yellow, red, and green dragons. 

I have been lying in the grass so much, my clothes have all turned green. 



LAY - Lay must have a direct object. One lays something down.
(Hint: substitute "put." If "put" works, then "lay" is also correct.)
 
Conjugation of LAY:
lay (present tense)
laid (past tense)
will lay (future tense)
laid (perfect tense) (use with have, had, has)
laying  

As I lay the blood-encrusted sword under my desk, Mr. Farnsworth walks into the classroom and asks me to come to the office.

The last time I laid my sword under my desk, no one noticed it there.

Next time I fight a battle before school, I will lay my sword in a safe, hidden place.

In the past I have laid my sword under a bush when I saw Mr. Green coming.

I was laying my  sword under the bush when Mr. Dalley stepped up behind me. 

Disclaimer:  Students, do not bring your swords to school, even if you have been in a battle with a dragon that morning.

Learn about tenses at http://leo.stcloudstate.edu/grammar/tenses.html#present%20perfect



Test on plot using the short story "Amigo Brothers."

"Amigo Brothers" Short Story


   Could you label a plot outline with its parts?
   Could you fill in a plot outline for a story?
(If you were absent, read the story, and ask me for the test paper. Cave Time would be the best time to do this.)
For more on Plot, see  May 4/5, 2010
 


Test on lie/lay.
(If you were absent, see me for the test. Cave Time would be the best time to do this.)
 

B1 still needs lie/lay test.
B2 took the test, but did not correct it.
B4 took the test, and corrected it. 
A1 needs to take the lie/lay test.
A2 took and corrected the test.
A4  needs to take the lie/lay test.